Rules for FOSS Hack 2020
- The Hackathon is open to any Indian national who has a valid bank account.
- First commit must be after 8am on 12th September 2020
- Last commit before 8pm on 13th September 2020
- Video should be uploaded and linked before 8pm on 13th September 2020
What you can work on
- A new FOSS app, tool, or library.
- An alternative to any existing popular app or service.
- Extending and improve an existing project or library.
- Design projects: Redesign of an existing FOSS application.
- Open hardware.
What you should (probably) not work on
- An app or project that extensively uses proprietary service or API.
- Yet another Keras model on available datasets.
- A simple CRUD application.
- License: Must have a valid Free and Open Source license.
- Communication: A well written README and video demo are important. These will determine the first round of elimination. Before your code is reviewed, the quality of your README will be. Please be concise in explaining what your project does, how to install it, test it, and use it. Similarly, write concise and meaningful commit messages that show the progression of the project.
- Completeness: Applications must be complete and working.
- Design and aesthetics: If you are making a user interface, try and ensure that they are clean, modern, and usable.
- Timeframe: The project must be reasonably built within the given timeframe. The judgement of the jury will be final in this.
- Credits: If you are using existing code, make sure you credit it. Plagiarism, which is all too common unfortunately, is strictly not appreciated.
How to Participate
- Sign up on the portal.
- Create your project or join a team.
- Add your project description.
On the day of the hackathon:
- Add your project repo.
- Add / update your README.
- Add your project updates.
- The total prize money will be divided among the best projects.
- The number of projects to be awarded and amount to be given will be decided by the jury based on the depth and quality of the projects.
- Money will be transferred to the winners individually via bank transfers within India. The recipients will need to furnish a copy of their PAN for TDS and tax documentation.
These rules are being constantly updated based on questions. We will email you the final set of rules before the hackathon starts!